Thursday 19 November 2009

Who's the greatest of them all?


Boxing is back, according to the New York Times and everyone is getting carried away in the aftermath of the Pacquiao/Cotto fight at the weekend. Pick of the bunch, in my opinion, is Sports Illustrated's run-down of the greatest fighters, and fights, of all-time.
They've picked Roberto Duran (pictured) as the best lightweight ever (no arguments there), Harry Greb as best middleweight (no he wasn't that familiar to me either), Ali gets the nod at heavyweight and Sugar Ray Robinson is named the best pound-for-pound fighter - again I've got no arguments with that.
Even more interesting is the top ten list of great fights. Only three of the fights happened during my lifetime (although I was born just five days after Sugar Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns' 1981 meeting) and I only remember watching one of them - the astonishing 2005 clash between Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo which sneaks in at number ten. According to SI the best fight ever was Jack Dempsey's 1923 defeat of Luis Angel Firpo despite the fact that the fight lasted less than two rounds (there were 11 knockdowns).
Interesting stuff and I'm sure you'll disagree with some of the selections... You can have your say here.

No comments:

Post a Comment